After two long years of IVF treatments, we found out the summer of 2016 that we were finally pregnant! About 10 weeks after we found out we were having twin girls!! We obviously knew this was a possibility but nevertheless we were completely surprised, scared, and above all excited.
My due date was March 19, 2017 but it’s very common for twins to come early. By end of January 2017 we had everything ready for the arrival of our baby girls. We were so anxious to meet them and my body was definitely ready too. At 19 weeks my cervix had started thinning so my OB put in a Cerclage, which is basically where they stitch up your cervix to prevent it from dilating too soon in the pregnancy and resulting in premature birth. The plan was to remove the stitches between 35-36 weeks and hope that the girls would wait till about 36-38 weeks to arrive.
On the evening of Feb 12, my husband and I met up with friends at a local brewery so that they could have some beers while I stuffed my face with Coney Dogs. We joked about our girls coming out soon so they could meet & play with their baby and we went home thinking “nah, we still have a couple weeks!” Besides the normal tiredness from being huge and the terrible heartburn, I felt OK. At about 4-5 AM on Feb 13 I felt a gush of water, and immediately woke my husband up to “I think my water just broke!” I was nervous and excited, and ready. I had a very easy pregnancy besides the Cerclage which really had no side affects so I had no reason to be particularly concerned. Both babies were head down and my OB was completely on board with letting me try a vaginal birth.
We got to the hospital about 6 AM. My OB met me there, helped check me in, confirmed that my water had in fact been broken and I was in labor. The first thing he did was remove my stitches and then inform me that it was his day off and he had made plans to go up to the mountains for the day with his family. This meant that his partner would be taking over from there and would be delivering the girls. I was super bummed that he wouldn’t be there but I had met with the other OB in the practice a couple of times and he was great too. The nurses at the hospital were all so amazing so I took a deep breath and told myself I was in good hands.
I got to 5 cm fairly quickly and the cervix checks were so painful that I decided it was time for the epidural. I had decided a couple months prior that an epidural was definitely something I wanted if I was going to push two babies out. I dilated to almost 7 cm with no issues, and babies were happy and stress free. In the meantime, my mom was making her way from Miami, FL and I although I knew I had no control, I was hoping the girls would wait for her. At about 6-7 PM my cervix was at a standstill. The OB recommended Pitocin to get things moving along and I was 100% on board with that. By then, my mom had arrived and I had been in the hospital for over 12 hours so it sounded like a great idea. After the Pitocin I started feeling stronger contractions and I definitely felt like something was happening. I had so much pain in my lower back, could not stay in the same position for more than 30 seconds, but still no dilation past 7 cm. This went on for another 12 hours! It was excruciating to say the least. The one good thing about being in labor for what now was 24 hours, was that my OB was back from his day off and ready to deliver my girls. Now it was 6 AM on Feb 14, and when he got there he advised that since it had been 24 hours since my water broke the safest thing to do was get them out via C-section and avoid infection. I didn’t think twice about it and just told him to get those girls out! We were having twin girls on Valentine’s Day!!
The doctors and nurses got themselves, me and my husband and mom ready, and into the OR we went. As soon I got into the OR I asked the nurses for a bag because all I wanted to do was throw up. I felt so nauseous and uncomfortable. I just wanted the delivery part to be over. I literally threw up the entire time I was in the OR and through the entire delivery of my babies. It was horrible! Baby A came out first. She was the one that had made it out of her sack and was ready to meet us. Cali Anne Kennedy was born at 6:07 AM weighing 4lbs 14oz and measuring 18in long. Baby B was still in the sack and maybe not so ready to come out yet. Gianna Elizabeth Kennedy was also born at 6:07 AM weighing 5lbs 1oz and also measuring 18in long. When my OB got Gianna out though, he discovered that parts of her placenta were embedded in the wall of my uterus and he had to get them out. This caused severe hemorrhaging and had we not decided to go ahead with the C-section he may not have caught it in time. The extreme loss of blood caused my blood pressure to drop and all I remember hearing was Chad say “I’m not leaving until you tell me she’s stable” then I woke up in recovery. Because of the significant blood loss, I had to have a blood transfusion and didn’t get to hold my babies till late that night. Later I came to find out this is called placenta accreta and it’s a very serious condition. In my case it could have been caused by several procedures I had during IVF that left scar tissue in my uterus.
This journey has been the hardest and most rewarding, and I would do it a million times over if I had to. I could not have made through this journey without my husband, Chad, who was my rock, support, and made all of my cravings a reality. He’s one of the best gifts life has given me, and Cali, Gianna and I are so blessed to have him. Our girls were worth every emotional breakdown, every shot, surgery, scar, every tear. We never gave up or lost hope and now my heart lives outside of my body.